Saturday, February 25, 2006

That's (not) my dress!

This weekend I traveled to Austin with my roommate Kalyn and our friends Kayla and Brittany for a dress fitting. As you all know--from my constant complaining--Kalyn is getting married this summer and Brittany and Kayla are two of her bridesmaids. Kalyn ordered her wedding dress in Austin and needed to pick it up. The girls were going to get fitted for thier bridesmaid dresses...and I was just along to take pictures.

So, after meeting Kalyn's parents, we go into David's Bridal, all of us excited to see Kalyn's dress for the first time. She's led into a dressing room by an employee with a garment bag. We here the zipper. There's a rustling of fluffy fabric. Then we here Kalyn:

"That's not my dress."

After much discussion with the manager, it was unanimously decided that David's Bridal had ordered the wrong dress and we could spend the $50 in gasoline to come back in several weeks and get the right one--no discounts. Despite our obvious disapointment, we decided to go ahead and get the bridesmaid dresses so that Kalyn's parents could pick them up when they came back to get Kalyn's dress (and save us $50).


So the girls hit the racks. Kalyn had already picked out a cute little strapless number so we found a random color in the appropriate sizes and headed for the dressing rooms. Kalyn will have four bridesmaids and her brother (although he will not wear a dress) standing with her at the wedding. The four girls are all extremely different body types.


While the chosen dress looked just beautiful on Brittany (far right, in blue), you can see from Kalyn (far left) and Kayla's expressions that the dress perhaps enhanced Kayla's assetts a little too much.


Which Kalyn then failed in attempting to hide with a scarf.


So Kalyn went with a quickly improvised plan B.


Different dresses but all the same color. They'll still be beautiful in the pictures, they just won't match completely. Two bridal disasters solved in one afternoon and we hadn't even eaten lunch yet!

And as we are checking out, from behind us we hear a loud "I want this one," and Kayla appears with a very white dress. But hopefully she'll wait a while...I can only stand one engagement at a time.


Shooting these pictures was a challenge and a lot of fun. David's Bridal was cramped with racks, dresses, and people (never go wedding dress shopping on a saturday!), so backgrounds were a little cluttered and the florescent lighting wasn't incredibly awesome either. Plus people were tripping over me or hitting me with hangers (accidentally, of course), while trying to get through the narrow walkways. But in the dressing area, the mirrors were a lot of fun to play with. They allowed me to get dresses and emotions in a very tight space. I wish that I had gotten a few wider shots and also a few closer shots. Also, I wish I had more verticals--normally I'm better about that, but I posted the ONE that I shot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting everyone know about my "assets". Very tactful : ) I really like the one of Kalyn at the mirror. It's fun. Good job!

Anonymous said...

Mama said...

You misspelled the word 'hear' when stating that you could hear Kayln in the dressing room. You must have inherited your spelling from Nana.

Anonymous said...

haha, the pictures really enhanced the story I had heard only in words before. I'm no professional or critic, but I think you did a great job capturing the experience in photographs!

Anonymous said...

Those turned out great, Em! But I think you should have included the picture of Kalyn and her mom. That one was priceless! :)

Laci said...

I agree we Carolyn. I think you did a great job showing the trip. Your photos tell the story well.

Laci said...

I forgot to say how I really like the one of the tag.

Anonymous said...

Many, many comments ran through my head, however we will stick with "Very nice pictures" and "Congratulations Kayln"

"Goose"
KMG