Wednesday, March 08, 2006

sleeping through tennis (and other adventures)

Okay, admittedly I'm not a sports fan by any means. I did go through my brief tom-boy baseball obsession--though I was definately never any good--but I've never really had an interest in sports. This passionate dislike could possibly be due to the fact I am the child of the two least athletic people in the world. It could also be because I grew up across the street from our small-town high school, a school that placed a large emphasis on sports.

Our house faced the athletic side of the school: the baseball field, football practice field, band practice field (all three of which doubled as a golf practice field), and my bedroom specifically faced the tennis courts. I have a large collection of abandoned sports equiptment that somehow made it's way into my yard and spent the most horible midterm of my life holding my head and trying to think physics while a stupid tennis player with a purple Stingray blared rap music loud enough to shake the chair I was sitting in.

I am not a sports fan. And yet, I kind of had fun shooting it this weekend.

Like when, while watching home, I caught our team tagging the other team out with a "creative" play. I wish the background wasn't so busy, but I'm really happy with the action that I caught. Next time I will try to shoot higher.

And here's a friend I made at the game...a munchkin, chewing on her brother's hat. Isn't that what little sisters do while the parents aren't looking?

And here's my tennis shot--my first sports shot ever!!! And it actually ran in today's optimist (probably because they didn't have anything else to use).

And here is my friend from the tennis match. This dog is a guide dog for a child in the wheel chair to the left. We had the same oppinion of the game...but, we both did our jobs--I got my shots and he got a nap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea non athletic daughter! Your action shots are great and I love the narrative. Keep up the good work, who knows maybe you will even start to enjoy sports!

Mama

Anonymous said...

You did well. I like how you even managed to include a baby in the sports shots! Hey, did you notice the wrong caption on your picture today in the optimist. The caption said it was Darby and Mei, but the picture was of Brittany and some other girl. Eric Gumm pointed it out to us at church. What happened? I tried to explain to everyone that it couldn't have been your fault, b/c you definitely know the difference between Darby and Brittany (I hope!)

Gary Rhodes said...

Emerald,
Good sports action, and on your first try too. I like the action in the baseball one, and agree with Cade that if you crop it verticaly it becomes much stronger. You can work on the backgrounds as you go though, you really did get a great action shot. Keep up the good work.