Saturday, July 22, 2006

Around and about and IN FRONT of the camera?????

So, about a week or so ago, Holly emailed me and yelled at me for not putting up anything cool and Europe-like on my blog. This trip I really haven't seen anything new...with Comm law I dash to On the Hoof for a sandwhich and get back to class (or the procrastinating avoidance thereof)--whether that's pretending to read my textbook, pretending to do my homework or, my particular favorite, pretending to be awake in class because I was attempting to read Comm Law late into the night and then get up at 7am. So here are a few quick shots and adventures within walking distance of home.

The bell-tower of the church across the street.
(Yes, there's an ancient stone church across the street from our house. It also has a lovely seating area on the opposite side of the street from us where you can eat lunch, study Comm Law (ha!) or various other activities to numerous and scandalous to mention.)

The gate to said lovely sitting area.

A stream behind University Park adjacent to yet another lovely sitting area perfect for the afore-mentioned activities

A very unflattering picture of Shaley and her temporary pillow, Kendra. Kendra is the girl who sleeps in the bed next to me and this is our room. Notice tight crop to avoid A) an even more unflattering view of Shaley and B) our extremely cluttered floor.


Now here's a little somthing you don't experience every day:
So one day, we're having class in University Park and a reporter and photographer from the Oxford Mail come up and start talking to us. Europe is currently experiencing record heat waves, and these two gents were doing a story on all the people who were too hot to stay indoors and do thier various normal activities. Most UK homes and businesses do not own airconditioners--all the chocolate at the 9to9 had melted into a gooey mess! In any case, places were canceling work, school, you name it. So the Brit reporters were shocked to hear that their "heat-wave" (high 80's, low 90's--in direct sunlight, mind you!) is almost cold weather to us.
And it really was kind of chilly, sitting in the shade with the breeze blowing. Tiffany Gaunt had the towel she was sitting on wrapped over her legs, Kendra was trying to tough it out and not move into the sunlight, and I had my standard worn-out green jacket on. So the reporter gets into a conversation with Mr. Pybus about media ethics and the photographer does a doubletake when he sees me in my jacket. Before I know it, he's talked me into going out in the sunlight so he can take a picture of the crazy American who wears a jacket in 90degree weather...and the next day, we bought our copy. I made page 4.

click any image to make it larger



my one complaint with the whole affair--they called me a Texan!

Can you find the mistakes? Leave a post if you find one!

5 comments:

Laci said...

this is soo funny! I can't believe it! AND I MISS SHALEY! Please tell her hello! You got a nice shot of her butt!

Laci said...

i have to leave another comment, because the more I think about that situation and that awful misshap that says that acu is in witchita, i just can't help but tolitterally LAUGH out loud! Emerald, this is the coolest thing ever! Mr. Pybus getting into an ethics conversation with that reporter, and you in your green jacket is just such a typical humurous pictures in my mind! HAHA! I love it, I can't wait till I see this paper pinned on that big board in the hall way on the JMC floor! YOU MADE THE OXFORD PAPER! I'm so proud and honored!

Anonymous said...

Yea! I am proud of you also. My daughter is in the news!

I will send you a blanket. Think it will get there in time for you to come home?

Anonymous said...

Our little Em is world famous! lol.. I think even the Optimist is more accurate in its reporting! At least they spelled your name right, though. :)

Kayla said...

Yay! You finally updated! That is sooo funny! You're not 19...there's a mistake. That is a great souvenir to bring home. We miss you sooo much!