Sunday, September 17, 2006

Felicitaciones, le puede tener marraige feliz!

(or, if like me you don't speak Spanish: Congratulations, may you have a happy marraige!)

Disaster though it may have been, I learned a few more things through my Spanish wedding adventure:
  1. Meet with the bride before the wedding (even if you are leaving for a week at home two days after you speak with her on the phone).
  2. When you meet with the bride, make sure she speaks the same language as you do...and that her family does as well.
  3. Sign a contract up front--no matter how nice you think they sound--because people who know will let you know you're an idiot if you don't, regardless of how bad you feel doing it.
  4. Don't expect everyone at weddings to LOOK happy--even the groom's parents...even the groom.
  5. Be personable and chatter at whoever you think might understand you...otherwise you'll be completely lost in a ceremony you can't even begin to understand!
So I'm sure more people than the bride spoke English...I just didn't meet them. She was, however, very nice, just the sweetest thing ever and I am truly grateful to have been a part of her wedding. But it was not easy. There were several points where the unexplained (to us English speakers) traditions threw me off gaurd and sent me scurrying for the back of the church only to discover there would be another 30 minutes of ceremony before I would miss the kiss shot (you can look, you won't find it here). Also, because of the layout of the church and my total cluelessness as to what was going on, spurring my reluctance to move from my spot, I'm afraid I'm looking nervous in the background of their entire wedding video. Ooops. Now on to the pictures.




Elia in the florescent hall light





So who has ever seen a Catholic wedding where the bride and groom get to sit as well????




The first of the strange traditions I didn' t understand:
The groom, Gabino, was handed a vase of fresh flowers from the alter by one of the priests, which he and Elia set on a table in front of cement Mary. They then knelt down, like so, which made for a great shot but does anyone know the significance here?


Elia and Gabino have two daughters. This is daughter number one, also known as the flower girl. Daughter number two walked down the aisle with her mother. I think that's cute.


The second of the strange traditions. Any ideas?






And happilly ever after into the limo to the reception.

This really was a lot of fun, but I'm glad I'm done with the editing and can get the proofs back to her as soon as possible!...as soon as they come in. Good luck to me!

4 comments:

chandra said...

Emerald,

randomly browsing blogs ,i came across yours, which made very happy reading. the photos are superb..and both of u look so happy. god bless u.

hav a look at me :

chandrasart.blogspot.com

warm wishes

chandra

Rachel said...

Love the pictures!!! Esp. the black and white ones. I hope things have been going more peacefully for ya, let me know if you need anything! ;)

Brittany Baumgartner said...

Em, you have to join facebook now!! Laci created a group dedicated to your existence.

Emerald Lemmons said...

A facebook group dedicated to my existence???? Someone with a facebook account please invite me to thier computer so that I can see this!